New Device Setup Question

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

New Device Setup Question

Postby kevingib » Wed Apr 06, 2005 12:05 pm

I have a couple of Russound Amplified Volume controls that have IR on them. These are A-Bus and connect to a hub with IR Out. If I purchase the USB-UIRT and run an emittor from the IR Out to the front of the USB will it pickup IR signals and Pass them thru the PC to Homeseer where HS can send the signal back out to a Applied SEC16IR device connectted to my Ocelot and then upstream to some zoned Amplified Blocks so that I can control my AV devices?
Wouldn't this eliminate the need for a seperate IR Reciever to send the signal to the basement as well as PowerMids to distribute the signals?
I guess what I am after is a way to integrate the USB device in the basement and pass the signal back to various rooms in the house.
kevingib

Postby jrhees » Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:10 pm

kevingib,

Probably not. The USB-UIRT really won't work well as a method of IR *distribution*. Since it actually processes the IR signals and decodes them, it would then have to recode them to send them out and the delays would cause problems.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby kevingib » Fri Apr 08, 2005 12:30 am

Ok, that makes sense. But how do I get an IR signal from my remote to the PC in the basement without using a repeater like a powermid? The HA computer is in the basement so I need to get the IR to the PC somehow so Homeseer can process events based on a IR Code.
kevingib

Postby jrhees » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:55 am

I think you would need a repater like Powermid or possibly a more elaborate IR distribution system

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Frank Mc Alinden » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:39 am

Hi Kevin
If you have a structured cat5 system installed you could use my FirM Jr .............

http://www.armaghelectrical.com.au/index.html

HTH
Frank
Frank Mc Alinden

Return to Installation