I'm confused - can I not use the receiver as a media center

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

I'm confused - can I not use the receiver as a media center

Postby andyd » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:38 am

remote. I have no idea what to do. The receiver is obviously taking signals as it lights up but I have no idea where to go from here

I also installed Eventghost but that is unintuitive. Unclear whether I need something like this to get USB-UIRT to do anything. I will seek a tutorial at some point though
andyd

It's definitely a learning process with no clear instruction

Postby brandon0413 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:06 pm

Windows Media Center has keyboard shortcuts for most, if not all commands. Have a look at them:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... -shortcuts

I setup my eventghost to emulate these keyboard shortcuts when I press buttons on my remote.

Try this in EventGhost:

1. Right click on the right side of EventGhost and create a new macro.
2. Then, select keyboard emulation under window i think it is.
3. Tell it you want it to emulate Win+Alt+Enter for example to launch Windows Media Center and click the ok button or whatever
4. Push a button on your remote and you should see the IR signal is appended to the list on the left.
5. simply drag and drop that ir code into your newly created macro and now that ir code should trigger the action to emulate the keyboard shortcut and thus launch windows media player

Be careful as the buttons on your remote may alternate between ir codes in which case you will want to assign each of those codes to the macro for that button.

Some devices also send a bunch of different IR codes when you hold down a button which is annoying and doesn't work well with EventGhost.
Do yourself a favor and test out your buttons beforehand to see if they are going to work well.

I have a logitech harmony which I was able to add a couple of random devices with non alternating ir codes for my buttons, which is working great. It took adding and removing a few devices to find good ones.

There might be different ways to do this but this was what I figured out.

Good luck.
brandon0413

Postby andyd » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:28 pm

Thanks for your help again. I'll have to look through this when I'm back at my place
andyd

Return to Installation