silly noob setup question

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

silly noob setup question

Postby tariqh » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:53 am

Now since this thing is a transmitter and receiver how should it be placed, because it needs to face the person with the remote but also face the entertainment unit to transmit to the other devices...

so red led facing the couch or the unit?
tariqh

Postby canoewhiteh2o » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:31 pm

You can add an external IR emitter by plugging it in to the 1/8" jack. Let your emitter face your entertainment unit and the usbuirt face the person. You could possibly use IR extenders as well.
canoewhiteh2o

Postby tariqh » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:46 am

so whats the point of it being an emitter receiver if i have to connect one to it? doesnt it not make sense that it faces the same way?
tariqh

Postby canoewhiteh2o » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:32 pm

You indicated
because it needs to face the person with the remote but also face the entertainment unit to transmit to the other devices
. If you want to receive and transmit from 2 different directions then you will need the additional emitter or an IR extender.
canoewhiteh2o

Postby tariqh » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:25 am

ah ok, so i thought the purpose of the device was to receive and transmit at the same time. But it seems its a device that can be used for either but not intended to be used as both.
tariqh

Postby Datahead » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:10 pm

tariqh wrote:ah ok, so i thought the purpose of the device was to receive and transmit at the same time. But it seems its a device that can be used for either but not intended to be used as both.

Actually it is intended to be used as both. The thing with IR is there is many different ways to configure the output depending on what your trying to do with it. I have worked in Audio/Video/Automation for 15 plus years and every setup is different.

Never the less the jack on the back of the unit is for two (Stereo jack) IR transmiter buds which attach to your equipment, or it could plug in directly to an IR router. As I said there are many ways to hook these outputs up.

The simpleist way is to attach a IR transmitter is via a 1/8" stereo male to 2 mono Female adapter(Radio Shack) The transmitter interface bud plugs into this giving you two outputs, the transmitter bud itself is basicly a 1/8" mono jack and a wire with a little bulb (LED) at the end that you stick to your equipment you are trying to control. This is just an LED on a plug, the USB-UIRT is what is doing the work. Depending on where you get this there around 10 bucks. The USB-UIRT acts as a interface between this part and your computer.

I hope that helped.

Ron
Datahead

Return to Installation