Configuration of new device

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

Configuration of new device

Postby kevingib » Wed Mar 23, 2005 4:14 pm

I am just about ready to order the USB-UIRT instead of a SECU16IR device but am a bit confused on how to set up the basic system.

I assume I can run a cable from the jack to a Xantech Amplified block and then run my emittors from the block to various devices. I will have the device in the basement so I plan on using 1 emittor to connect to a PowerMid or something for the blast effect in one room and the other emittor will go to other rooms hopefully as different zones.
I use Homeseer to control my automation so how will it determine the location of an emittor?
Also I assume I will need to mount an IR reciever and tie it to the block so teh USB-UIRT will have a return path for a sent signal from a remote.
Finally do I just need to program the USB device with commands from my harmony remote for a device I do not own and then use those specific commands to activate different sequences.
kevingib

Postby jrhees » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:36 pm

You're basically correct in your assumptions. However, such a setup will not allow you to individually control emitters. Instead, transmitted IR codes will ultimately be 'broadcast' in all the rooms you send to via the distribution block.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby kevingib » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:14 am

What do I need to do for individual emittor control as this is what I would prefer?
kevingib

Postby Jesse » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:56 am

Hello Kevingib,

Xantech does make addressable IR distribution blocks. You can check them out on their website.

Take care,
Jesse
Jesse

Return to Installation