Ubuntu Jaunty + USB-UIRT reception -- any luck?

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

Ubuntu Jaunty + USB-UIRT reception -- any luck?

Postby danielk » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:27 pm

The title says it all. I've been able to make the USB-UIRT transmit, by removing repeat from the lirc config file and manually doing the repeats in the channel changing script, but I've had no luck getting it to receive from my Grey Hauppauge remote (RC-5 codes). When I cat /dev/ttyUSB0 I get some gobblegook when I press buttons, and the light that says it sees something lights up. mode2 on /dev/ttyUSB0 with uirt2_raw and usb_uirt_raw shows stuff.. but the device neither works with irrecord, nor does it work with lircd with a pre-existing configuration file.
danielk

ubuntu 9.04 install problems

Postby Todd7 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:33 am

I am attempting to install lirc with a usb-uirt on ubuntu 9.04. When I type irw it doesn't recognize anything. When I do cat /dev/ttyUSB0 I get characters. When I try mode2 I get:
$ mode2
mode2: could not get file information for /dev/lirc
mode2: default_init(): No such file or directory

any ideas how to get this working in ubuntu 9.04?
Todd7

Re: ubuntu 9.04 install problems

Postby danielk » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:39 pm

Todd7 wrote:When I try mode2 I get:
$ mode2
mode2: could not get file information for /dev/lirc
mode2: default_init(): No such file or directory

any ideas how to get this working in ubuntu 9.04?

You need to specify the device for mode2, in this case /dev/ttyUSB0. See "mode2 --help" for how to specify the mode and other params.

I gave up on using the USB-UIRT as a receiver under Ubuntu, I'm just using it as a blaster. The key to using it as a blaster is that that having a code repeat in the .conf makes it not work, so you need to remove that and manually do the repeats in your channel changing script... PITA! Using it as a receiver kinda worked, but I needed to learn the codes using a different receiver, and it sometimes lost sync and I had to unplug/replug the thing. That lowered the WAF too much so I'm using a very reliable HDHomeRun device as my IR receiver now.
danielk

Return to Installation