Dual IR Emitter to control Multiple Zones or Same Equipment

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

Dual IR Emitter to control Multiple Zones or Same Equipment

Postby Kyght Ryder » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:33 am

Hello,

I have read all the pages in this forum.

I understand I can control up to 3 zones with the USB-UIRT 2 Zones/equipment with emitters using jack located at back of USB-UIRT and 1 Device/Zone with the blaster window.

In one post I see Jon say"If you want to wire your own emitters, you can buy simple IR LED's at Radio Shack, etc. Otherwise, you can buy 'dual' emitters from places like hometech.com"

(I am not good with soldering and there are no exact laypersons guide to doing this.)

So I will buy and use dual IR Emitter. which is not that expensive so I will go this route.

Now one post I see it says you can use two indvsiual IR Emitters
Like (8170S STICK-ON IR EMITTER (SMARTHOME BRAND) or
Xantech 282M) but you will need a stereo-to-dual-mono splitter or equivalent.

My Question is which Dual Emitter route is the best? and Does it matter if you choose "Blink" Emitter or "Non-Blinking" Emitter.
Kyght Ryder

Postby mike » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:18 am

You need individual emitters to do the multi zone use you mention. You do need the splitter and then plug an individual emitter into each of the two plugs. A dual emitter would give you two copies of the same signal , which is not really what you need (if I understand your intent).

The dual ones are useful if you are repeating IR traffic, but in this case you probably want to keep the zoned output clean (i.e. ir channel 2 going to 1 cable box, ir channel 3 going to another box, etc).

The individual emitters are usually less than $5 if I remember correctly. Smarthome, hometech, etc all have them. I would just buy them rather than try and build your own (but it is an option).
mike

Postby Kyght Ryder » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:35 pm

Thank you. I do want two separate zones(two cable boxes) I did purchase the non blinking dual emitter (IR-3002) from home tech. If I get it emitters working I will use main window and emitter for now, then when I go to three STB I will use the splitter method you provided.
Kyght Ryder

Return to Installation