Multiple USB-UIRTs on RHEL Linux with LIRC

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

Multiple USB-UIRTs on RHEL Linux with LIRC

Postby webmania » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:36 pm

Hi, I've connected two USB-UIRT devices to an IBM Thinkpad T42p with RHEL 4 Linux installed. They show up as /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1. One of USB-UIRTs is renamed to USB_UIRT_2 with uurename.exe on Windows.

I have also compiled LIRC with only usb_uirt_raw support and started 2 instances of the LIRCD servers with the following command line:

Code: Select all
lircd --device=/dev/ttyUSB1 -o /dev/lircd1 -P /var/run/lircd1.pid -L /var/log/lircd1
lircd --device=/dev/ttyUSB0 -o /dev/lircd -P /var/run/lircd.pid -L /var/log/lircd

Everything seems to be fine except when I use irsend and the -d option to try to send a signal to one of the devices, BOTH of them would light up. When I check the lircd log files, only the intended lircd server picked up the request, so this is very puzzling. It almost looks like that there is a problem in the FTDI driver such that it will broadcast the signal to all USB-UIRT devices present in the system.

Anybody ever saw something like this?

Thanks,
webmania

Postby webmania » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:39 pm

Forgot to add: actually, I tried starting just one LIRCD server, issue irsend, and still BOTH USB-UIRTs would light up. This almost certainly suggests that the driver is broadcasting the request to all devices....
webmania

Postby wjohnsaunders » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:26 am

Maybe it's being transmitted out one device, but the other device is simply flashing its LED in response to the received IR signal.
wjohnsaunders

Return to Installation