USB-VIRT: Rcvr & Xmtr in same enclosure?

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

USB-VIRT: Rcvr & Xmtr in same enclosure?

Postby Jakester » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:49 am

I am about to purchase one on these devices so that I can control my satellite receiiver (Echostar - Bel ExpressVU 2700) channels from the GAM software.

I too attempted to use the Phillips MCE remote Blaster, and sure enough, Microsoft non-compatibility prevails. This device has the IR transmitter on a seperate and good lenght cable so that it can be mounted across from the controlled device.

But I noticed from the Website, that the USB-VIRT pictoral shows both the IR Receiver & transmitter to be within the same enclosure.

Like many folks out there, I have all my A/V and PC(GAM) gear stacked into an entertainment cabinet. Unless I am missing something, I would need to physically move my satellite receiver across from the cabinet so that the IR Transmitter would get a line of sight to control it.

I hope there's a better solution.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PS: Anyone out there has successfully got this to control an ExpressVu receiver?
Jakester

Postby jrhees » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:53 am

Jakester,

First of all, to confirm: many successfully use the USB-UIRT to control EVU receivers.

Secondly, the built-in blasters are powerful enough for most setups that they simply flood the room with IR, bounce off walls, etc. and reach their destination. If needed, there is an emitter jack on the USB-UIRT where you can plug in a stick-on style emitter (like those for the MCE transmitter).

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to Installation