Installation Question

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

Installation Question

Postby jkbs » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:19 pm

Hi, I just ordered my USB-UIRT and am looking forward to getting it. My receiver (Sony STRDA4ES) has one IR input on the back and two IR outputs. Would I be better off hooking up an 1/8" miniplug directly from the USB-UIRT to the reciever or trying to get the signal to bounce off a wall and back? If I can hook up directly to the receiver, can I attach IR emitters to the IR out of the receiver to control other componets?

Thanks for your help.
jkbs

Postby jrhees » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:24 am

Probably not. The IR on the Sony are probably S-link controls.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby jkbs » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:03 am

There is actually a different jack labeled Control A1 and several Control S. I guess I will just try it and see if it works
jkbs

Postby Nick » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:23 pm

Hi!

My previous amplifier (which I still have but no longer use for my home theater used an old version of Slink (I think at the time they only called it Control-A (not Control A1 nor A1 II) so this thread got me wondering if there was anything that could be done with the USB-UIRT.

Control-A/A1/A1 II seems out of the question but maybe Control-S is (unfortunatly my knowledge of electronics is limited so I cannot be sure...)

This is what I found on the subject:

http://www.undeadscientist.com/slink/encoding.html
http://www.undeadscientist.com/slink/slinkhardware.html
http://www.undeadscientist.com/slink/ircommands.html

There where other sites but most of them had many broken links and didn't provide as much info as this site...

Maybe somebody (Mr Rhees?) could use this information and tell you whether it seems to be safe to connect the USB-UIRT to the Control-S port or not...

Good luck!

Nick
Nick

Postby jrhees » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:49 am

Nick,

You should be able to connect a direct cable between the USB-UIRT's emitter jack and the Control S input on the receiver. Generating the codes to control the receiver will be a bit more difficult, but the USB-UIRT has the ability to have the carrier frequency set to DC (unmodulated) just for such a purpose.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Nick » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:11 pm

Hi Jon!

Thanks for the info, I'm sure jkbs will be pleased... (-;

I actually posted that info so that you (or somebody else) could determine if it would be possible to connect the USB-UIRT to (jkbs's amplifier/the) Control-S port but as my own (previous HT) amplifier is so old that it doesn't have a Control-S port (not even the newer Control-A1 or A1 II port) and only a Control-A port I knew that in my case it wouldn't be possible.

That amplifier is such a strange beast that it doesn't actually
respond to IR (it can be modified though using the info at http://web2.airmail.net/will/str0g3.html ) and is supposed to
be controlled using an "Egg Remote".

My current HT amplifier (Yamaha RX-V1300) does have an In and an OUT
IR port but I couldn't find any info on these... )-;

Thank and have a nice day!

Nick
Nick

Postby Sparks » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:31 am

jrhees wrote:Nick,

You should be able to connect a direct cable between the USB-UIRT's emitter jack and the Control S input on the receiver. Generating the codes to control the receiver will be a bit more difficult, but the USB-UIRT has the ability to have the carrier frequency set to DC (unmodulated) just for such a purpose.

-Jon

How do you set the carrier frequency to DC ? I'm using the USB-UIRT in CQC.

Thanks
Sparks

Postby jrhees » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:34 pm

I believe CQC uses the Pronto code format. If you have access to the codes themselves, you could change the first part of the code from "0000 ...." to "0100 ...."

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Sparks » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:44 am

jrhees wrote:I believe CQC uses the Pronto code format. If you have access to the codes themselves, you could change the first part of the code from "0000 ...." to "0100 ...."

-Jon

I guess I don't understand what you are saying. So to set the carrier frequency to DC in CQC I would change the first part of the code from "0000 ...." to "0100 ...."? If I weren't using CQC, what would I do?
Sparks

Return to Installation