Which Type of Mini-Emitter to Get for Two Receivers?

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

Which Type of Mini-Emitter to Get for Two Receivers?

Postby Jay Chan » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:56 pm

I am planning to use USB-UIRT to control two Dish Network receivers. And I want to use two mini-IR-emitters as a way to connect USB-UIRT to the receivers. I would like to know which type of mini-IR-emitters to get.

Obviously, I want those two receivers to tune to different channels independently. This means I want USB-UIRT to control each IR-emitter separately. I am under the impression that USB-UIRT is able to do this. The thing that I am not clear is which type of mini-IR-emitter I should get. Am I supposed to get a "twin emitters" that has two mini-IR-emitters connecting to one 1/8" plug and the plug must be stereo (not mono)? Or should I get two separated emitters and each has its own mono-plug, and then connecting both into a Y-connector (with 1/8" stereo plug in one end) from Radio Shack?

By the way, I will use Beyond-TV 3.5.1 as a PVR front end if this matters.

Thanks in advance for any purchasing advice.

Jay Chan
Jay Chan

Postby jrhees » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:15 am

Jay,

There are two routes you can go here:

1 -- Use the 'zone' feature of the USB-UIRT -- in which case you will need two single emitters connected with the stereo-to-dual-mono adapter Radio Shack sells.

or

2 -- Simply buy a dual emitter and *not* use the Zone feature. In this method, you must reprogram one of your Dish receivers to a different 'address' (a feature Dish receivers have for those who have more than one and need to control them independently). Then you would learn both the normal IR signals to control one receiver, and a second set of IR signals to control the 2nd receiver.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Thanks.

Postby Jay Chan » Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:35 am

I am glad that I ask before I order the mini-IR-emitters. Seem like using the "zone" feature in USB-UIRT is a better way to go. The reason is that I will be using USB-UIRT with my DirecTV receivers for a while before I switch to Dish Network. Therefore, I need an approach that will work for both DirecTV and Dish Network. Seem like using the zone feature in USB-UIRT with the Radio Shack stereo-to-dual-mono Y-adapter will allow me to do this.

Thanks for your help.

Jay Chan
Jay Chan

Return to Installation