RF input to usb-uirt?

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

RF input to usb-uirt?

Postby wkearney99 » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:08 pm

Can the usb-uirt be modified to directly pick up an RF remote signal?

I've got several Radio Shack 15-2117 8-in-1 remotes that I use currently. They send an RF signal to the base station where it's retransmitted as IR. Is there a way to have the usb-uirt directly detect the RF signal and avoid the RF-to-IR translation? I'd like to avoid any more IR 'noise' than is necessary.

I have a spare base station that I could cannibalze for parts.
wkearney99

Postby jrhees » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:50 pm

Using the RF receiver of the base station could potentially work, but it would be more than the 'Star Trek' rerouting of bus a to bus b type of thing...

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby wkearney99 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:51 pm

jrhees wrote:Using the RF receiver of the base station could potentially work, but it would be more than the 'Star Trek' rerouting of bus a to bus b type of thing...

What, no sparkly fiber optic cable thingies? No crawling to a Jeffries tube? Dang, and I suppose no fancy uniforms that don't fit either... ah well.

I figured as much. The RF transmitter 'puck' used in the remotes that send these can apparently be grafted onto other remotes. I'm wondering if the same can be said if the RF receiver? Might it be as trivial as yanking it out of the base station and grafting it into the usb-uirt? Or hacking into the base station and pulling out a signal 'better' suited for direct input?

I ask this because the quality of IR signal the base station sends out is widely regarded as noisy. I'm just looking for a way to use these RF remotes (which are great, btw) with a usb-uirt and get the best pickup.
wkearney99

Return to Installation