Using USB-UIRT with Niles IRZ6+ IR Block Emmitter

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

Using USB-UIRT with Niles IRZ6+ IR Block Emmitter

Postby CAPSTONE » Mon Dec 13, 2004 3:27 pm

I recently decided that using Cinemar's Main/DVD Lobby was the way to go for control and quickly purchased all the needed SW and Hardware. I plan to install a Touchscreen just outside my theater entrance to be used as a marquee/User remote for the HT and the rest of the basement with the Main Lobby SW
as the interface.
It might help to get a visual of where things are located too:

Capstone Theater

Here's what I have:
PC installed with 1. USB-UIRT, 2. Girder 3.3 both Functioning perfectly on XP PRO-SP2. I've already created some cmd strings but it's the IR send/recv that cause problems.
Typical HT Components- Rcvr, DVD, DirecTiVo, HDTV, XBox, GameCube and a Zektor
and lastly...

IRZ6+ Zonable IR Extender <-- PDF Manual Link which also works well.
The IRZ6+ has a recvr pickup above my screen and emmiters that are stuck to all of my components except for 2 elements:

1. Z10K Projector.
2. 4 IR capable Lutron SpacerSwitches.

For these two items I am forced to use a blaster facing backwards towards these items rather than stuck-on emmitters. The blaster is at the back of the room along with the rest of the equipment and PC. For a "wireless solution" I sure as hell have a lot of wires coming out into my room"
If you are still with me...Thanks :)

Now... How do I best integrate the USBUIRT into this mix? Placement wise; when I put the USBUIRT in a good position to accept cmds from my remote, it's not in a good position to send and vise-versa mainly because the blaster at the back of the room seems to ping-pong the effects.

How can the output mini-jack on the USBUIRT help fix this placement dilemma? if so, help me with the steps please.

Thanks for your help and consideration.

Cappy
CAPSTONE

Postby jrhees » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:03 pm

Here's what you'll probably need to do:

1. Use the IR emitter jack on the USB-UIRT with a small low-power stick-on emitter to emit directly into the IR receiver you have mounted above your screen. This will hopefully avoid the USB-UIRT's blaster conflicting with your IR distribution blaster.

2. Disable the USB-UIRT's blaster. You can do this by using the 'zoning' feature of the USB-UIRT. You will have to select Zone 1 in your Girder commands that transmit IR, which should output to the rear emitter jack only (Zones 1 and 2 are the two stereo channels of the emitter jack, while Zone 3 is the front IR blaster).

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to Installation