Newb needs some clarification

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

Newb needs some clarification

Postby stingray » Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:32 am

I've been reading up on the USB-UIRT and am very fascinated by this. However, I'd like to make sure of a few things.
As of now, I have a Hauppauge Win-250 card and am using Sage TV. The way I have Sage setup is for the 250 card to be set at channel 3, and to watch TV I use the remote control to change the channels on the Satellite receiver ( one in a spare bedroom ). If I were to get the UIRT can I setup up Sage so that it now acts as a "seperate receiver" where I would no longer have to have it set to channel 3?
Also, what is the approx range of the IR frequency? If my PC is at the opposite end of my house from the satellite receive will it still be able to communicate?
Thanks in advance
stingray

Postby jrhees » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:53 pm

Yes .. basically you would change your Sage setup to use S-Video or Composite Input on the capture card from your Sat box. Then Sage would change channels on your Sat box. Be aware that this will slow down surfing channels (since you'll now be asking Sage to change the channel and it in turn must send out IR commands to tell your Sat box to change), but the benefit is now that Sage can automatically record shows and be able to tune the Sat box when a recording is about to start.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Different Newbie, add-on question...

Postby InsertHere » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:05 pm

Just so I am understanding this... Does that mean the USBIRT sends a signal to the cable box to change the channel using IR when Sage or anything else is told to change channels by the PC? If so, would the cable box need to be line of sight or anything to get those signals to the box?

(I am using Sage with USB-IRT, but cannot get channels to change on external box using mouse on PC running Sage. Sage believes it is changing channels, but the video is always same channel.)

Thank you in advance for your time.
InsertHere

Postby jrhees » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:23 pm

Yes, if you have Sage set up correctly (config Sage capture device to S-Video or Composite and USB-UIRT as tuner device), when Sage wants to change the channel, it will send the digits for the new channel to the USB-UIRT and the USB-UIRT's blaster will send these to your cable box just like your remote control does. So, you will see the USB-UIRT's red LED light up for each digit being transmitted. Just like an IR remote control, the USB-UIRT needs to be aimed at your cable box.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby InsertHere » Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:59 pm

Thank you. That helps a lot.
InsertHere

Postby mono » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:01 pm

So how do you physically position the USB-UIRT and the cable box? It seems that you'd have to position the cable box facing bacwards, and in front of the USB-UIRT in order for the USB-UIRT to both receive input from your remote control, as well as blast instructions from Sage to the cable box.
mono

Postby jrhees » Wed Jan 26, 2005 9:27 pm

mono,

Although the USB-UIRT's IR blasters will be facing away from your equipment if it is placed atop your equipment, the blasters are powerful enough in most cases to bounce off of walls, etc., and still control things. In extreme cases, you can attached a stick-on emitter to the back of the USB-UIRT.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to Installation