SAGE/2 satellite dishes(DISH, GLOBECAST)/Hardware needed?

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

SAGE/2 satellite dishes(DISH, GLOBECAST)/Hardware needed?

Postby SmilingInSEattle » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:17 pm

Hi,

I just built a PVR, but now realize I still have to buy more hardware.

I started out installing MythTV, (and would still like to run MythTV) but gave up trying to get TightVNC (vncserver) to come up as a starting service with the Knoppix build). I want to have the PVR set stand alone with no mouse or keyboard, controlling it instead from my home network. On top of that, it had to boot up reliably enough to run wirelessly to my router. I got that part working (unfortunately) with XP.

But now, I'm looking at Sage's documentation. It misses some of the features of Myth TV, so if anyone who is a Myth guru (or perhaps less) has reliably gotten vncserver to come up with the Knoppix R5 distro of MythTV, then please PM me.

Otherwise... here's what I want to do with my PVR setup, and I need advice on H/W purchases.

I boutht an AMD8VN micor board for the PVR, so I don't have a lot of slots for cards, but it has lots of USB connections. I've use one USB for the wireless card. I bought only one tuner at this time, an ATI Wonder elite. I realize that I'll have to buy a second tuner now to get this all to work, and, so, would ask for advice on that too if the advice comes with understanding why I have to buy it, to get what I want to do to work.

I'll be driving two satellite boxes with this PVR, a DISHNetwork 2000, or a 3000, and a GlobeCast SE830-A. Physically, they will be stacked above one another.

My first question would be, could one USB-UIRT be placed in front of both (or in front of one, with mirrors to reflect the signal into the other) and server to: a) feed info from a remote into the PVR; b) feed directives from SAGE into the two satellite settop boxes.

1) What remote would you recommend for SAGE?
2) If more than one IR device is needed, then which one(s) for which purposes?

Thanks in advance for an answer to a compicated question. :D
SmilingInSEattle

Postby jrhees » Wed Dec 20, 2006 5:06 am

With Sage, a single USB-UIRT should be able to do the job. The built-in blaster should be able to hit both boxes in normal circumstances.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to Installation