Prepackaged IR Blasters?

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

Prepackaged IR Blasters?

Postby Redemption » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:46 am

Gave the forums a quick search, but not too deep.
Wanted to know are there any places that sell the appropriate IR blaster for the USBUIRT to control two seperate devices (for a total of three).
(Going to be using with Sage TV to control my three satellite receivers, so I'm sure I'll be in both forums with more quesitons soon enough).
Redemption

Postby jrhees » Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:23 pm

Standard Xantech-style stick-on style emitters will work fine. I bought some from www.hometech.com

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Redemption » Thu Sep 30, 2004 2:54 pm

So one of these right here will do the trick?
http://www.hometech.com/infrared/emitters.html#286M

How does it specify which IR blaster the data gets sent through? Or do IR blasters not require a ground? (not so up on electronic functions;)
Redemption

Postby jrhees » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:00 pm

Since the USB-UIRT is unique in the fact that it has two zones directed out of a single 1/8" jack, it requires a modified IR emitter(s) to have 2 separate zones.

All of the Xantech-style dual emitters use a 'mono' 1/8" plug, and put the two emitters either in parallel or series.

If you wanted two emitters separated by zones you would have to wire each emitter separately to a stereo 1/8" plug.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Redemption » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:02 am

jrhees wrote:Since the USB-UIRT is unique in the fact that it has two zones directed out of a single 1/8" jack, it requires a modified IR emitter(s) to have 2 separate zones.

All of the Xantech-style dual emitters use a 'mono' 1/8" plug, and put the two emitters either in parallel or series.

If you wanted two emitters separated by zones you would have to wire each emitter separately to a stereo 1/8" plug.

-Jon

And I take it there are no known commercially available emiters already wired for this?
Large hands and little patience are bad for making my own wires.
Redemption

Postby jrhees » Fri Oct 01, 2004 3:43 am

...not that I'm aware of...

However, you can attck this another way if you need two zones of stick-on emitters:

Find the following part at Radio Shack: http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?c ... id=274-375

Then buy two stick on emitter cables and plug one into each jack. Note: This is *not* a normal 'Y' splitter, but one that turns a stereo plug into a L mono and R mono jack.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Redemption » Fri Oct 01, 2004 2:01 pm

That sounds pretty straight forward, thanks for all the info.
Redemption

Return to Installation