Newbie can't get USB-UIRT to control XP machine + Beyond TV

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

Newbie can't get USB-UIRT to control XP machine + Beyond TV

Postby Charles Linquist » Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:58 am

I can't plugged in the USBIRT into my XP machine, and loaded the 1.3 drivers. Windows told me my new device was "ready to use".

I have an X-10 remote, and I'm using Beyond TV. In Beyond TV's setup wizard, I selected X-10 as my remote and USBUIRT as the input device.

I figured Beyond TV would find accept input from the X-10 remote, but it does not. The LED on the USBUIRT went on and flashed awhile after I loaded the driver, but now it is OFF.

When I went to the USBUIRT site, I was told there was something called "GIRDER". Do I need to install that?

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Charles Linquist

US-UIRT

Postby stick » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:08 pm

I want to do what you are trying. I have beyond tv, want to get a cable box for the digital channels, then us a US-UIRT to change channels.

Did you ever figure out how to do it? Do you have to have Girder? Does it work with any infrared capable digital cable box?

Someone help us please!

Thanks,
-Stick
stick

Postby jrhees » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:32 am

stick,

What you are trying to do is different than Charles. Charles wanted to use his USB-UIRT to *receive* from his remote so he could use his remote to control BTV. However, BTV only supports the USB-UIRT's *transmit* function.

What you want to do is *transmit*, which BTV directly supports.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Randy » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:15 pm

Having read through a lot of posts I think I have my answer? The USB-UIRT can only recieve for learning purposes and does not receive for "retransmission" for controlling things, such as BeyondTV or other apps through Girder. I have been using the Hauppauge IR receiver for input and the USB-UIRT for output. Is this the correct assumption or am I doing something wrong?
Randy

Postby jrhees » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:59 am

While you are indeed correct that the USB-UIRT does not receive for retransmit or relaying, it *does* have a long-range receiver which is used (not for learning) for allowing you to use a remote control to operate applications on the PC. However, the application must support this functionality. BTV chose not to support the receive function. However, as an example, Sage does support this, so with Sage you can use the USB-UIRT also as an IR receiver.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to Installation