Noob and install questions

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

Noob and install questions

Postby batt » Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:57 pm

Ok, here we go again with another seemingly never ending trail in getting BTV going. I purchased that product, along with all the necessary peripherals in order to use it in the fasion I desired. Of course, the last step was getting the UIRT device which will enable me to watch all the channels that I have on digital cable. I received the device yesterday and installed it. Of course, it didn't work. I find that I need another software package, in this case girder, to make it function. Additionally, I'll have to purchase girder after the trial period if I want to continue using it. I've gone this far so I'm not going to stop after investing all the time and money that I've spent on this project so far but I have a few questions. First, my device didn't recognize the cable box. Is there a guide of some sort that gives me step by step instructions on how to configure this device? I was successfully able to install it by getting the drivers off the net but it still doesn't work. And last, I assume that girder is a necessity? I'm using the Hauppauge 250 card...will the remote that came with that control the USB device? Thanks in advance for any help!
batt

Postby jrhees » Mon Sep 06, 2004 10:39 pm

batt,

To get BTV to use the USB-UIRT to control (change channels on) your digital cable box *does not* require Girder. Girder is a general-purpose Windows automation tool, but is not needed in this case. BTV has built-in support for the USB-UIRT.

You should be able to install the USB-UIRT (and install the Windows drivers as described on the getting started page) and that's all you should need to get BTV to work with it. BTV has a setup wizard which allows you to choose the USB-UIRT (I think its listed as UIRT on the wizard).

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to Installation