USB-UIRT + Add-On USB Card + USB Hub = bad juju?

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

USB-UIRT + Add-On USB Card + USB Hub = bad juju?

Postby Micah » Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:55 pm

Ran into a little issue today while rebuilting my HTPC after a mobo failure.

I'm trying to install the UIRT through a 4 port USB hub that goes to an add on USB/Firewire combo card.

The problem I'm running into is that the UIRT isn't recognized and I can't seem to force a driver to be installed for it. It comes up as USB 2.0 Device and when I try to manually point Windows 2000 to the driver it gives me a "No information for your hardware..." message.

The UIRT can be seen in every other combination and gets installed automatically.
UIRT -> USB Addon Card = Seen
UIRT -> Mobo USB = Seen
UIRT -> Hub -> Mobo USB = Seen
UIRT -> Hub -> USB Addon Card = Fail

I can get around this no problem by getting another hub specifically for the UIRT and plug it into one of the mobo USB ports but I wanted to post this info to see if anyone else was having this problem or are even using this combination.
Micah

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 22, 2004 1:39 am

Micah,

I have no idea why this combo wouldn't work. Is the hub configured as externally-powered?

-Jon

Postby Micah » Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:33 pm

yeah, it's an externally powered hub.

What's also weird is that I found my touchscreen isn't recognized with that combo either. So it's not just the UIRT that's having the issue.

I by passed the problem by plugging my external DVD directly into the card and using the hub to connect my UIRT and touchscreen to one of the computers main USB ports.

There's no reason to change it but it's an odd problem anyhow.
Micah

Postby Treetop » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:22 am

External power....
that's what I was gonna ask

Now Im starting to thing that it may be the way W2K play with the USB/Firewire card itself

I have no experience with that OS so all I can really say is..
so many things could be the problem...

Glad to here that you found a work around, but still curious as to why?
"... if all my possessions were taken from me with one exception, I would choose to keep the power of communication, for by it I would soon regain all the rest."

Daniel Webster
Treetop

Postby Micah » Thu Aug 26, 2004 9:59 pm

Something else that's odd. When I unplugged the UIRT in this config it rebooted the computer. Only in the hub -> card config though. Could unplug it from the card or from the hub -> mobo usb no problem.

Didn't do it with the touchscreen getting disconnected though. Maybe I've just got an odd pair.

Just so's you know, I've got this hub (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=17-111-955&depa=0) and this card (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=15-104-203&depa=0). Strange strange stuff.
Micah

Return to Installation