Wiring Multiple Emmiters

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

Wiring Multiple Emmiters

Postby Einsteins Dad » Tue Aug 10, 2004 4:43 pm

I need to send IR to multiple devices. One of them is a Marantz SR7400 reciver. It has an IR input that is a standard phone jack. I can hardwire a connection from the USBUIRT jack to the Marantz jack and it works great. I can even split the signal between the Marantz and an IR emmiter using a stereo spliter And it works great.

I need to send it to more devices. My question is this:

1. can the mono channel (one side of the stereo connection) be connected to more then one emmiter (not an IR Blaster) and if so, should they be wired in parrallel or series?

2. does the hardwire conection to my Marantz draw more or less power then an IR emmiter from the USBUIRT; and can another emmiter be paired with the hardwired connection? Again, in series or in parrallel?

Thanks for your help.

BTW, I'm using the USBUIRT with MainLobby.
Einsteins Dad

Postby jrhees » Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:29 pm

I cannot comment on the Marantz input, but it may simply be an IRLED mounted internally in the Marantz chassis.

You can wire up to two emitters in series. Any more than this, and the voltage drop across the emitters will be too great for the 4.5-5V USB power supply to support.

You *can* wire emitters in parallel, but since led's act like diodes, they only allow a certain voltage drop across them. Because of this, any emitters you wire in parallel need to be closely matched. Differences in emitters (vendor, etc.) will vary in forward voltage and the only emitter which will light up will be the one with the least forward voltage spec.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Einsteins Dad » Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:39 pm

Great!

Thanks for the speedy reply.
Einsteins Dad

Return to Installation