56kHz upgrade?

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

56kHz upgrade?

Postby planetjay » Thu Aug 05, 2004 9:39 pm

Yesterday I received my USB-UIRT from PCAlchemy. After 24 hours with it I have discovered that 90% of my remotes are of the 56kHz and my USB-IRT ISN'T. Nearly every remote I have is either RCA or Dish Network.

Realizing that it would void the warranty, I would like to know. Can I just solder in a 56kHz IR detector? I happen to have one laying around from an old LIRC that I built that was scavenged from an RCA DirecTV receiver.

Is there more to it than that? Is the firmware the same? Do you care if I do this?

Also FYI, I chose your USB-IRT over the TIRA as a replacement to my IRA2 because of the emitter jack. I'm planning to control a Dish Network receiver with my PVR. We also needed experience with sending IR for BYOPVR.com.
planetjay

Postby jrhees » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:43 am

I assume you want to navigate your PC with those remotes...correct? (you don't need the sensor if you only need to learn the remotes for transmission).

You can put in a sensor, but it has to have the correct pinout. The pnout must be:
Pin 1 = Out
Pin 2 = GND,
Pin 3 = VCC

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby planetjay » Fri Aug 06, 2004 8:33 am

Actually I do want to use this little GE remote that I bought for $10 at Target to control the devices, like the DishNetwork receiver. I'll check the RCA DirecTV schematic I have and compare it to the board for pinouts since it's been a while since I played with it.

Also I did notice that it would learn the 56kHz commands even without an upgrade. You obviously put alot of thought into your design.

Thanks for your quick reply!
planetjay

56khz upgrade ir receiver part spec.

Postby skchai » Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:07 am

Ron,
I have the same problem with using dish network remote control to control my pc using girder with my USB-UIRT without 56khz. I am thinking of doing upgrade as well. After some searching in the web, it come down to this ir receiver from Vishay with those part number TSOP32156/34156/32256/34856, the only different btw them is Continue date rate of 800bit/sec or 4000bit/sec and burst length cycle/burst of "greater than 6" or "greater than 10". Is that any requirement of this 2 spec.

Thanks.

chai.
skchai

Postby jrhees » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:56 am

skchai,

I would not recommend the Vishay receivers because a) The USB-UIRT's power supply filtering mechanism is not the same as Vishay's recommendation, and b) I tested the Vishays and was very disappointed at their ambient IR/fluorescent light rejection.

I can mail you a 56KHz receiver if you'd like -- send a request to support@usbuirt.com

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

56khz ir receiver

Postby skchai » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:39 am

Jon,
That is so nice of you!! I am sending you an email.

Thanks.

Chai.
skchai

Return to Installation