Xantech connecting block question

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

Xantech connecting block question

Postby Myraid » Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:39 pm

I will soon be receiving my USB-UIRT unit and just have a quick quesiton. I am going to need to control anywhere between 4-6 pieces of audio equipment. Would the Xantech connecting blocks with the IR emitters be the way to go?
I am assuming that I can plug in the USBUIRT unit into the connecting block for receiving purposes. Am I on the right track here?
Thank you,
Myraid
Myraid

Re: Xantech connecting block question

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 18, 2004 3:40 pm

Myraid wrote:I will soon be receiving my USB-UIRT unit and just have a quick quesiton. I am going to need to control anywhere between 4-6 pieces of audio equipment. Would the Xantech connecting blocks with the IR emitters be the way to go?
I am assuming that I can plug in the USBUIRT unit into the connecting block for receiving purposes. Am I on the right track here?
Thank you,
Myraid

bump

Postby myraid » Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:37 pm

bump
myraid

Reply from AVS Forum - Please confirm

Postby myraid » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:50 pm

Below is a response I got from a person on the AVS Forum,

"I don't know about Xantech, there were some questions as to whether their connecting block would work or not and I don't know if a definitive answer was ever reached.

I do know that a Russound 857 powered distribution box works just fine as I'm using one now. It's a 1-in 6-out box distribution box. Check here for some more info on what i was doing.

I would note though that I have the older style USB-UIRT that doesn't have the zoned ability. The plug on the back of my uirt is a mono-mini jack which lets me run a mono audio cable directly from the UIRT to my dist. box. I'd think that the new zoned uirts have a stereo mini-jack, with each "channel" being a separate zone. I'd look into it as you may have to do some cable hacking to go from a stereo mini-plug to 2 mono mini-plugs to interface with a distribution box."

Can someone please confirm.
myraid

Postby jrhees » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:25 pm

Myraid,

While it is true that the current USB-UIRT supports zones via the 2 channels of the 1/8" jack, even the old USB-UIRT's had a stereo jack and would output the IR to both L and R channels always.

So, the cable config that he used should work fine. If you plug a mono plug into the USB-UIRT (old or new) it simply shorts out one of the channels and this condition is designed for in the design.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to Installation