Do I need 56KHz?

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

Do I need 56KHz?

Postby jaffaddog » Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:04 pm

How do I know if I need the 56KHz detector?

Do most consumer electronic remotes transmit in the 36-40KHz range?

What are there typical applications of 56KHz? or specific vendors who use this standard?

I have a One for All "Cinema 7" remote, but I may get a new one with PVR buttons. Can I ssume these will work without the 56KHz receiver option?

Thanks,
Jeremy
jaffaddog

Postby jrhees » Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:24 am

Dish Network (echostar) are the most notorious 56KHz remotes. However there are others but there isn't rhyme or reason to which ones are and aren't. The fact that many manufacturers do not design their remotes makes it even more difficult.

If you're planning on using a 'universal' remote then you likely can get away without the 56KHz option, since you can probably have the remote emulate a brand that uses 38-40KHz.

FWIW, if you *do* want to use 56KHz one added benefit is greater range (that's why some use it).

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:13 am

Jon,

Another major brand that uses 56KHz is RCA/GE/Proview (Thomson Consumer Electronics). I have both a GE TV and DVD Player and they both use 56KHz. I discovered this after I bought the one without the receiver of course :) Luckily I had already planned on buying a All-For-One remote, and just taught Girder the codes for my TV with the Learning receiver. Just thought i'd throw that tidbit in here :)

Postby jrhees » Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:56 am

Thanks!

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Return to Installation