Dish IR Remote 103602

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

Dish IR Remote 103602

Postby ramick » Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:32 am

I don't know if this is a problem with Girder, UIRT or what, but, I have a problem learning IR codes from this remote to train Girder.

I can learn (raw) and transmit IR from the USB-UIRT. I know this works (most of the time) by clicking the Test button in the settings. When I try to get Girder to learn the IR from this remote, I get a large variance of codes (over 6). This ends up in giving me a large number of events for each remote button - doesn't seem right and doesn't work most of the time.

I searched here and on the Girder forum, but found no solution. I am using a powered USB hub, but I get the same problem whether it is powered or not (I disabled the plugin and re-enabled it before and after). I am not getting any spurious IR; I tested this by leaving on the UIRT learning mode on for over an hour.

This remote seems to generate a sequence of commands depending upon what was pressed before??

Any ideas?
TIA
ramick

Postby jrhees » Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:20 am

ramick,

Does the distance from the USB-UIRT have any bearing on whether the code is consistent?

Secondly, do you get a consistent code if each to you press a button on the remote you HOLD it for a couple of seconds?

Can you post some of the codes you see (pick a sincgle button on the remote)

Are you planning on controlling your PC with this particular remote? If it is this particular remote's protocol that giving trouble, you could try another remote or programming one of the other 'devices' on this remote...

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:15 am

jrhees wrote:ramick,

Does the distance from the USB-UIRT have any bearing on whether the code is consistent?

I have to have the remote at about 3" from the USB-UIRT to even get a response from the progress bar. This is even with the signal strength at full. Most of the time, I have to press the button on the remote a number of times to get a full learn.

jrhees wrote:Secondly, do you get a consistent code if each to you press a button on the remote you HOLD it for a couple of seconds?

If I hold the button on the remote, the learning progress bar will not complete.

jrhees wrote:Can you post some of the codes you see (pick a sincgle button on the remote)

This is the raw learn from the remote "Menu Left" button:
R0035097709350820091F08200935083609350836083508360836083508360835083608

jrhees wrote:Are you planning on controlling your PC with this particular remote? If it is this particular remote's protocol that giving trouble, you could try another remote or programming one of the other 'devices' on this remote...

I am trying to get the USB-UIRT to relay these signals - my equipment is located in cabinets. I had this working (somewhat) with the UIRT2 before, but this unit seems different.

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:24 am

Girder sees this key (menu left) as (from the Learn Event button):
4520000004D4
6780000041D4
8902000040D4
and others.

I was thinking that if I got 01*D4, 23*D4, ..., EF*D4 I would have them. But there are other keys on the remote that show up as these.

Is there a different way to teach Girder?

Postby jrhees » Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:31 pm

Okay,

We're getting everything confused real fast -- so we need to take a step back.

First, there are TWO types of Learning being done -- a) Learning a code for retransmission (the Learn Button inside the USB-UIRT Plugin dialog)--this requires the remote to be placed very close to the USB-UIRT, and b) Learning an 'event' code to trigger an event in Girder (the Learn Button on the Girder main screen)--this does *not* require the remote to be placed close, in fact I would *recommend* the remote be placed a couple of feet away for this type of learn.

I believe you said in your original email that Learning for retransmission worked OK, so let's concentrate on the second learning events for Girder. I believe this is where you're getting a number of different 12-digit codes for each button, correct?

If this is so, can you please re-answer the questions I put in my first post performing THIS type of learn (Learn button on the Girder main screen). Alternatively, you don't really even need to use the Learn button since the codes will always be displayed on Girder's status bar.

Secondly, do you get a consistent code if each to you press a button on the remote you HOLD it for a couple of seconds?

Can you post some of the codes you see (pick a sincgle button on the remote)

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:54 pm

jrhees wrote:I believe you said in your original email that Learning for retransmission worked OK, so let's concentrate on the second learning events for Girder. I believe this is where you're getting a number of different 12-digit codes for each button, correct?

Correct.

jrhees wrote:If this is so, can you please re-answer the questions I put in my first post performing THIS type of learn (Learn button on the Girder main screen). Alternatively, you don't really even need to use the Learn button since the codes will always be displayed on Girder's status bar.

This was posted above.
Girder sees this key (menu left) as (from the Learn Event button):
4520000004D4
6780000041D4
8902000040D4

jrhees wrote:Does the distance from the USB-UIRT have any bearing on whether the code is consistent?

No, it seems to depend upon what button was pressed last.

jrhees wrote:Secondly, do you get a consistent code if each to you press a button on the remote you HOLD it for a couple of seconds?

When Girder recognizes the IR, it stops receiving, right?

Thanks for your help and support.

Postby jrhees » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:23 pm

"When Girder recognizes the IR, it stops receiving, right?"

Actually, that's what I want you to find out. Could you pick a button and press and HOLD it and see if each time you do this you get a consistent code (please post the button and code you see). Also please let me know if a single event is generated in Girder when you do this or whether you see a continuous stream of events.

Thanks,

Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Thu Mar 11, 2004 11:21 pm

OK, I see where I'm not being clear (I think).

I'll start from the beginning of this.
I created an event under the action to xmit the raw value above. I click Learn (Girder). When I press the "menu left" key on the remote, Girder puts 4520000004D4 into it's response.

I think I'm done, but, when I press the "menu left" key again, Girder won't recognize the IR.

So, I created another new event, click Learn and press the "menu left" key. If Girder sees the same (4520000004D4) IR code, I click Learn again (I already have an event for this). I do this (click Learn) a number of times until Girder puts a different IR code (other than 4520000004D4) into the display. Now, Girder should perform the action (send raw IR) if it sees either 4520000004D4 or 6780000041D4 from the remote. BTW, Girder will stop learning when it recognizes the IR - that's why I have to continue with the learn, press button, learn, press button... until I get a different value.

This would work about one third the time. So, I create another event, press the key until a different one, ...

I guess one question is do I have to have every possible IR code that could be produced by this remote for that key?

Another would be is there any way to have Girder learn raw IR like your UIRT plugin?

I really don't want to have to set 16 (or whatever) events for every key on the remote. It looks like this remote sends a number of IR commands depending upon how long the button is pressed (the red LED on the UIRT keeps flashing). It also looks like these cycle.

Is there anyone else with a Dish remote like this one?

Postby jrhees » Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:37 am

Ramick,

OK, I think I have a handle on what's going on.

First, it appears that you're using older firmware. A change was put in the firmware a several revs back to limit the number of different codes produced by a Dish Network (Echostar) remote (which uses an unusual protocol).

Can you go into the 'Configuration' button on the USB-UIRT dialog and click the 'about' Tab and tell me what Firmware version and also what Girder plugin version you're using?

Thanks,

Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 13, 2004 11:43 pm

USB-UIRT plugin version 2.5.6 (04/30/03).
Firmware version 5.7 (02/12/04).
Girder version 3.2.4.

Postby jrhees » Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:29 am

Hey, I think I found something --

Do you by chance have 'Enable UIRT2x compatible codes' turned ON in the options???

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 14, 2004 6:02 am

Is that a UIRT thing or a Girder thing.

I looked at File->Settings... Plugins and there is nothing like this there.

I checked the Settings for the Command and even into the Configuration and Learn buttons and nothing like this there either.

Where is this?

Postby jrhees » Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:08 pm

To see these settings:

1. Open the USB-UIRT plugin Learn Dialog as if you were going to learn an IR code to transmit.
2. Press the 'Configuration...' button at the top right of the dialog.
3. Look at the Preferences tab.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 14, 2004 5:58 pm

I think the dialog you mean is posted as an attachment at:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... ost3523183

You posted 'Enable UIRT2x compatible codes' - I think you meant 'Generate UIRT x-Compatible Codes? This option is not checked.

But, my problem is not in transmitting from the UIRT to my Dish - my problem is transmitting from my remote to the UIRT. The UIRT sees a number of different IR codes from the same button on this remote, thus the large number of events in Girder.

I had this working with the UIRT2 fairly consistantly, but I think I shorted it out when rebuilding this computer. That's why I switched to the USB-UIRT.

Postby jrhees » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:45 am

Sorry, that's correct. The 'generate UIRTx-compatible codes' affects the 12-digit codes generated (and passed to Girder) when it sees your remote.

The codes you posted earlier on in your postings were UIRT-x compatible codes, and should not be the codes you get when this option is NOT checked (unless you're using old firmware). However, you said you're using 5.7 firmware so that shouldn't be the case -- oh I'm confused. Did you have this option turned ON previously by chance?

I got hold of a Dish remote and with the option turned OFF I can indeed see three different potential codes from the Menu Left button (and the others as well). To see these codes, I didn't bother doing a 'Learn', but simply watch the codes as they appear on Girder's status bar (at the bottom of the Girder screen). Which code is received is dependent on HOW LONG the button is held. So, if I press the button very short, I will get a code which starts with '45...', if I press the button a bit longer I will get one with '67...'. However, if I press the button any longer I should always get a code which starts with '80...'. You should never see a code starting with anything longer than the '80...' unless you're running old firmware.

So, for example, I get the following three codes for the 'Menu Left' button:

4530150004D4
6784151541D4
8040055545D4

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Next

Return to Installation