Multiple Codes per Button

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

Multiple Codes per Button

Postby moviewatcher » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:33 am

Hi there.

OK, I have 2 PCs each equipped with a USB-UIRT running Girder - all the latest versions of drivers, firmware, etc.

The first PC is my dev box and I get 2 distinct codes per remote control button and have this all set up in Girder working fine.

I deploy my app to my 2nd PC and all hell has broken loose. I get a boat load of different codes per remote control button (at least 10 different ones using the Hauppauge remote's OK button). I've tried swapping USB-UIRTs and changing remotes all to no avail.

How is it just by changing PCs (WinXp to Win2k BTW) this can happen? I would assume a remote sends the same codes regardless of the target.

I am hoping this is a really stupid newbie problem that can be easily corrected, but I can't figure it out nor can I find a solution in the forums.

Thanks!
Dave
HTPC Extraordinaire
moviewatcher

Postby jrhees » Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:03 am

moviewatcher,

Another user experienced a similar problem -- and similar to your, the problem followed the PC and not the unit, etc.

One interesting symptom the other user saw is that if they placed the remote at close range the IR codes 'cleaned up' and didn;t produce all of the random codes.

To make a long story short, we tried many things and eventually found that placing the USB-UIRT after a powered USB hub remedied the problem. The conclusion was that somehow system or power supply noise was affecting the performance of the USB-UIRT's IR receiver.

Do you by any chance have a powered hub you can try (if you try this, make sure to run the hub in powered mode -- as some have a little switch to put it into this mode)

Let me know!

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Success

Postby moviewatcher » Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:24 am

Yep - that was it. I actually did happen to have a powered hub sitting on the shelf.

Kind of a drag that I need to introduce this extra piece of hardware, but I've now got a really kick-butt HTPC that has met the WAF (wife acceptance factor) and I'm ready to deploy throughout the house.

Thanks!
Dave
moviewatcher

Postby jrhees » Tue Feb 17, 2004 1:49 pm

moviewatcher,

I'd really like to come to a conclusion on whether this is a USB power supply *voltage* issue or a power supply *noise* issue. If you're willing, email me at support@usbuirt.com and I'll make arrangements to ship you a multimeter and a special cord with some instructions on how to make some measurements... If you don't want to, I understand ad well!

Thanks,

Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Maladin » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:19 am

I'm hitting this as well. I don't have a powered USB hub to try. My motherboard is MSI K7N420 Pro.

Am I screwed?
Maladin

same issue here

Postby rcdash » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:56 am

This same type of problem crops up or gets more evident as my MX500 battery starts to fail. All sorts of random codes pushing a single button.

However, I have tried also to get USBUIRT to work with the IR blaster on my DISH receiver which is used to control a VCR (trying to get the HTPC to act as a DVR). Well it works when I put the UU right in front of the blaster, but placed atop the audio rack (usual spot), it get a series of different codes when "testing the VCR" via the DISH receiver menus (UHF remote for DISH not confusing the UU). The DISH receiver does activate the old VCR no problem, but the UU has trouble with the reflected signal.

Firmware 5.5, Girder plugin 2.5.9.

I just found firmware 5.7 - will try that...
rcdash

Postby rcdash » Wed Mar 03, 2004 5:00 am

I forgot to mention that I do have the UU connected into a powered combo firewire/usb20 hub. And that is plugged into a surge suppressor that all the audio components are also plugged into.

I have a SINEWAVE UPS nearby - could try plugging the wall wart for the USB hub into that instead.
rcdash

Postby jrhees » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:17 pm

Note: if you are using a powered hub, make sure the hub is switched to self-powered mode. Many hubs have a small switch to use the external supply. You'll know you've set it correctly when the USB-UIRT remains powered even when the PC is off.

You are probably experiencing a sensitivity issue with the USB-UIRT's IR receiver. Here are some things you can try:

1 (ambitious) - You can remove the front lens on the USB-UIRT and this will improve the receiver sensitivity.

2 - The USB-UIRT's peak sensitivity is at 38KHz. Having your STB blaster emulate a remote that uses the 38KHz frequency (as opposed to the other common freqs of 36 and 40KHz) will help.

3. If you happen to have a USB-UIRT+56, this unit has an additional 56KHz sensor which has very good sensitivity. Choosing a remote protocol for your programmable remote or STB blaster which uses 56KHz carrier will further extend the range.

I am in the process of trying a new 38KHz sensor which exhibits better sensitivity. If you'd like to try one of these 'beta' units, email support.

Best Regards,

Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Maladin » Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:14 am

Turns out my unit works just fine when I program it correctly. I underestimated the importance of being close to the receiver when learning codes.
Maladin

Which devices use 38KHz or 56KHz?

Postby IVB » Sun May 16, 2004 12:33 am

I'm having the same issue of multiple codes per button with my MX-800. I tried the latest firmware, didn't help.

I randomly chose a device as the purpose was to code Girder, hence I'm happy to try another device. The MX-800 IR db is pretty large, and has most devices. However, I have no idea which remotes use 38KHz or 56KHz.

Any suggestions?
IVB

Re: Which devices use 38KHz or 56KHz?

Postby Guest » Mon May 17, 2004 7:01 pm

IVB wrote:I'm having the same issue of multiple codes per button with my MX-800. I tried the latest firmware, didn't help.

I randomly chose a device as the purpose was to code Girder, hence I'm happy to try another device. The MX-800 IR db is pretty large, and has most devices. However, I have no idea which remotes use 38KHz or 56KHz.

Any suggestions?

Ok, I tried a 38.5KHz remote [i know this b/c I went via girder/command/plugin/learn code/test ir to get the info]. I have latest firmware & drivers now.

However, I'm still seeing multiple IR codes per button. FYI - I have 2 USB-UIRTs on 2 different PCs in 2 different rooms. I have this issue:
1) on both UIRTs
2) on both PCs
3) with multiple remotes, including the MX-800.

My question:
1) I see that one of the suggestions is to remove the front panel. HOw do I do that? I tried with a screwdriver, jacked up the plastic, and am afraid I'm going to break something.

My only remaining untried tasks:
1) Try emulating a 56KHz device on the MX-800. I've been told that almost all RCA devices use 56KHz, so I'll try that.
2) Once I get guidance on above, try removing front panel. I'm less than excited about this, as it would detract from the "finished look" I'm trying to achieve in the HT, but if it works...

Postby jrhees » Mon May 17, 2004 8:29 pm

Just to clarify:

When you say you get multiple codes per button, do the codes follow a set pattern (i.e., alernate between two codes, etc.)

- Do you see multiple codes at close range?

- Do you see the same code the majority of the timewith occasional 'other' codes?

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby IVB » Mon May 17, 2004 9:07 pm

jrhees wrote:Just to clarify:

When you say you get multiple codes per button, do the codes follow a set pattern (i.e., alernate between two codes, etc.)

- Do you see multiple codes at close range?

- Do you see the same code the majority of the timewith occasional 'other' codes?

-Jon

1) The codes generally alternate between 2->n codes, n being anywhere up to 5-7. 99% of the time it's 3 or so codes.
2) yes, I see multiple codes at close range. I actually put the remote 3" away from the front panel, and pushed the UIRT deep into the shelf to minimize any random bounce-age [i.e., no idea, but does my plaster/lathe/potentially asbestos paint do funny stuff with certain IR frequencies]
3) Re:same code majority/occasional other: It varies based on signal, but certainly on some signals I see close to a 50-50 split. Other signals I may get a major/minor ratio.

The one thing that just occured to me that I didn't check is what the frequency of my DirecTV Samsung SIR-300 remote is. That's been the one generally consistent device that I haven't noticed too many multiple codes. What I did with that one is trap the finite # of multiple codes into Girder, so the end goal of "this button needs to do that thing" is accomplished.
IVB

Postby jrhees » Mon May 17, 2004 10:25 pm

I really don't know why you would see so many codes at close range (not too close -- stay at least 1 ft. away) with your MX-800.

I would be tempted if I were you to try emulating another device with your MX-800. Try emulating a Sony or Panasonoic piece of equipment...

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby IVB » Mon May 17, 2004 10:56 pm

jrhees wrote:I really don't know why you would see so many codes at close range (not too close -- stay at least 1 ft. away) with your MX-800.

I would be tempted if I were you to try emulating another device with your MX-800. Try emulating a Sony or Panasonoic piece of equipment...

-Jon

Ok. The MX800 as a big IR db. Any specific suggestions [or types of equipment? Receiver? TV?]

I'm also going to try an RCA as I found out that's a 56KHz signal.

Finally, I was led to believe that some things may cause interference with IR. Items that I have include: 900MHz baby monitor, 802.11b LAN, Microwaves, wireless keyboards, etc. Any experiences with that stuff?
IVB

Next

Return to Installation