Where is the IR Receiver on the USB-UIRT?

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

Where is the IR Receiver on the USB-UIRT?

Postby racerchris » Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:47 pm

I have the USB-UIRT in an enclosure, along with two other IR devices, with an emiiter mounted about 1/2" from the front of the unit. This works find for receiving IR commands, but is not working for learning commands. I figure this is because the emitter is not sending a strong enough signal. With the unit out of the enclosure, it works fine.

I'd like to drill a 1/2" diameter hole in the front of the enclosure to allow me to send the IR command I want to learn. How should I align the hole with the unit? Where, exactly is the IR Receiver that I need to send commands for learning?

Weird question, I know, but inquiring minds...
racerchris

Postby jrhees » Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:03 pm

The short-range 'Learning' sensor is 3/16" to the left of and 1/16" up from the red LED (looking at the face of the unit).

You may want to aim at that point and see if you can avoid drilling the hole altogether.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:14 pm

jrhees wrote:The short-range 'Learning' sensor is 3/16" to the left of and 1/16" up from the red LED (looking at the face of the unit).

You may want to aim at that point and see if you can avoid drilling the hole altogether.

-Jon

Jon,

Thanks for the quick response. I had assumed that the unit required a stronger signal than an emitter can put out, but your suggestion suggests that I can mount an emitter directly over the sensor and have a chance that it will work. I'll try it when I get home...

Postby racerchris » Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:21 am

Anonymous wrote:
jrhees wrote:The short-range 'Learning' sensor is 3/16" to the left of and 1/16" up from the red LED (looking at the face of the unit).

-Jon

Jon,

Thanks for the quick response. I had assumed that the unit required a stronger signal than an emitter can put out, but your suggestion suggests that I can mount an emitter directly over the sensor and have a chance that it will work. I'll try it when I get home...

I was able to get the hole to work, but no-go on using only an emitter for learning. It didn't even work when I set the emitter to "high-power" mode. But it works and that's the important thing! Thanks.
racerchris

Return to Installation