emitter port to connecting block

Issues relating to installation of your USB-UIRT device.

Moderator: jrhees

emitter port to connecting block

Postby Eric Torigian » Sat Jul 26, 2003 3:27 pm

Can I take the output of the emiter port and wire it to my Xantech connecting block?

Would this then allow allow girder the ability to control any device on the block?
Eric Torigian

Postby jrhees » Sat Jul 26, 2003 6:18 pm

Yes, this should work. HOWEVER, be aware that different models of connecting blocks vary by design. Some are 'aplified' blocks, which actually reprocess and amplify the signal (and have their own poer supply). Others are nothing more than expensive boxes with a few resistors inside them. The latter resistor-only blocks will only be partially effective, since they are really designed for Xantech drive levels which are 12 volts.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby Eric Torigian » Sat Jul 26, 2003 7:15 pm

Thanks Jon.

Mine is an amplified box. I am going to buy a USB-UIRT and try!
Eric Torigian

Postby MikeH » Tue Nov 11, 2003 5:10 pm

Jon, Eric,

Any results of this connection?

I'm looking at the Xantech 791-44 amplified connecting block (http://www.xantech.com) to combine the IR output from both the USB-UIRT and my ChannelPlus 2100A (http://www.multiplextechnology.com/channelplus/products/irSystems/2010.html) IR/video distribution wall plate. The Xantech block has two IR inputs available: 1)stereo mini-plug, which I would connect to the wall plate, and 2) A 12V screw terminal. Would it be feasible to connect the USB-UIRT mini-plug output to this screw terminal block? Could you give me either a diagram or pinout list of the IR mini-plug on the UIRT? I would pig-tail the end that connects to the terminal block and just use the "signal" and "ground" pins (no power).

Am I on the right track?

thx
MikeH
---------------
GadgetAddict
MikeH

Postby jrhees » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:30 pm

MikeH,

While it should be possible to conntect the USB-UIRT to the dist. block as you describe, I have some serious doubts about the simulataneous connection of the wallplate to the IR input mini-plug jack. I would bet that internally the two IR inputs connect directly together, and this would likely lead to problems and not work.

Thoughts?

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Postby MikeH » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:59 pm

Jon,

I have the same reservations. However, I gotta believe that if they provide two physically seperate inputs, there MUST be some sort of isolation between them....maybe... :? I agree that tying two seperately powered emitter drivers together could be unhealthy.

What does the output of USB-UIRT look like? I assume it's a transistor collector with a 5k-ish pulldown resistor tied to the USB port power (is it +12V)??
MikeH
---------------
GadgetAddict
MikeH

Postby jrhees » Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:03 am

No, the USB-UIRT's output is actually the collector of a PNP transistor (thru a 82 ohm resistor). The emitter of the transistor is tied to USB power, which is 5V. This configuration allows the barrel to be tied to GND. So, you'll only see a ~4.7V signal. There is no pulldown on the output, so if you indeed feed it into a high-impedance, you might want to add your own externally.

-Jon
jrhees
Site Admin

Opto-isolated device from smarthome

Postby JeremyL » Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:03 pm

Smarthome has an opto-isolated connector block cable for connecting the PC/IRLinc (which blows) to the Xantech and similar blocks:

http://www.smarthome.com/8175.HTML

I have one and it worked with the Smarthome IR device, when I get the UIRT I will give it a wing.
JeremyL

Postby MikeH » Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:14 pm

Jeremy,

I agree....the PCIRLinc BLOWS big time... :x Spent many hours trying to learn codes.

On the other hand, the USB-UIRT learned codes from ALL my devices, including the DISH & XBox remotes!!

The opto-isolator looks like it shoud work. Let us know how things turn out.

thx
MikeH
---------------
GadgetAddict
MikeH

Re: emitter port to connecting block

Postby racerchris » Mon Jan 19, 2004 3:56 pm

Eric Torigian wrote:Can I take the output of the emiter port and wire it to my Xantech connecting block?

Would this then allow allow girder the ability to control any device on the block?

Eric,

Did you get this to work for you?
racerchris

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:20 pm

I recently hooked up the USB-UIRT to a connecting block using the SmartHome opto-isolator cable, and it worked "OK". I also have an IR receiver hooked up to the connecting block in parallel with this, and this caused some problems with my setup. Mainly, it seemed as if having the UIRT hooked up was adding noise or maybe attenuating the electrical signal as my remote didn't work as reliably anymore. Removing the opto-coupled UIRT would always cure the problem.

Anyone have ideas?

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:05 pm

Well, it seems my problem with the IRLinc (smarthome cable) was fixed by simply moving the USB-UIRT device to another position in my equipment closet. It used to be right on top of my PC, and perhaps EMI was being pickeup up by the UIRT and adding noise to my IR network.

Now it seems to be working fine, even with the IR receiving plugged in to my distribution block in parallel.

USB UIRT - TO - Connecting Block Works Great!

Postby racerchris » Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:42 pm

Used a 2 connector phone plug from the USB-UIRT IR OUT to connected directly to the Screw Terminals on my Connecting Block and works great! The outer shieding in the wire goes to GRND and the inner wire to IR IN. Simply as that! Enjoy!
racerchris

Postby ewingr » Fri May 14, 2004 8:31 pm

If I walk into a Radio Shack, or call an electonics store, will the know exactly what I want if I ask for a "2 connector phone plug"? If not, can someone provide me a more detailed description of what I want to ask for?
Thanks
Roger
ewingr

Postby Guest » Fri May 14, 2004 8:41 pm

ewingr wrote:If I walk into a Radio Shack, or call an electonics store, will the know exactly what I want if I ask for a "2 connector phone plug"? If not, can someone provide me a more detailed description of what I want to ask for?

No, I'm afraid not. "Phone" plug is probably the wrong terminalogy. We use to call them "phono" plugs in the old days, but don't think they are called that anymore. The best thing to do is the bring your USB-UIRT with you to Radio shack. They will DEFINITELY have this common plug. Remember all you need is a two-connector, not the three-connector plug....

Good luck.!

Next

Return to Installation